bedroom

026for todays vignette I wanted to create a companion to the modernist livingroom. I wanted to create something that would look dark and kinda awesome.

This red and grey combination is one of my favourites, so while I still don’t know what I want to use these designs for, I really like the designs.

sweltering

It is really warm where I live, much warmer than it usually is at this time of year, so I wanted to create a scene that radiates heat and really speaks to the sweltering experience I am having.

this café scene ended up taking quite a bit longer than I was hoping it would.

023

Sinister Livingroom

I haven’t really worked with the colour red for the vignettes, so I wanted to create an indoor scene with that colour as a centrepiece.

I also wanted to create some modernist furniture, however, the combination of those two elements mean that the game came out looking just a bit more sinister than I thought it would… I still like it though.

022

Nature scene

I don’t usually work with nature scenes, mostly because I usually don’t do well with them. Never the less I decided to try something out today.

I think this particular vignette shows some promise, which is good because the shadows of a universe in which these vignettes exist is starting to take place. 016

Finally out of Alpha

Screenshot 2017-09-02 21.11.30.png

I have been working on the chain broke steadily for just about 8 months and I have finally made it ou of alpha!!!

What does that mean?

well, it means that I have a finished game. A buggy, narratively broke, kinda boring game, certainly, but a finished game none the less. I could release this game tomorrow, if I wanted to, I don’t though.

I am going to be spending the next 5 months, getting the game into BETA and polishing it to near perfection.

Clawing my way towards beta

Screenshot 2017-07-31 21.11.11

I had no idea how long I would be working on the chain broke when I started working on it. Initially, it was supposed to be a small 3 month project, that was going to bring me out of the funk I was in at the time.

These 8 months into the project, and I realise how naive I was to think that the project was going to be anything but a Herculean undertaking.

This is why every milestone has to be celebrated, no matter how minute.

Today, for instance, I finally finished decorating the final scene I created in January.

OK, that needs some explanation.

I created 26 levels in January on my way to a very early alpha of the game. These levels were simply meant to be guidelines that I would follow when designing the rest of the game.

I had no idea that I would be working for 7 months on those 26 levels (which became 30 over time). So now, that I have finally finished the 26th level I can look at the last couple (as in literally 2) levels completely without any old guidelines to follow.

This is both kinda fun and kinda scary.

Shading my troubles away

I have been working on the chain broke for a while now and with each new level I stand in front of the same basic issue: how do I make this look somewhat unique, so that it stands out from the rest of the game.

This particular problem reared it’s ugly head once more, as I started making the inside of the machine known as Tau.

At one point in the game, I need my main character 3CS to walk inside of a massive computer and I need to create a look for that. This is my attempt at doing that

The amazingness of Caligari

I am working on allot of things at once, as is my nature.

So, while I am still working on the chain broke (which is nearing its beta), I am also working on creating the world of the next project that i am making: “Frankie and Stein”.

“Frankie and Stein” is a continuation of a project I created in 2015, which at the time was a small visual novel.

This time the project will become a bit more involved, but it will still keep to the same basic principles as the original. Namely, allot of love for classic horror movies of the 1920’s.

I have started to watch some classic horror with that in mind and I have started with the classic “The cabinet of Dr. Caligari”, which is a surprisingly watchable movie for being almost 100 years old.

Update on development

one of the major problems with development, is the amount fo work that is required to make anything work.

Truly any and all things take a herculean amount of effort and no matter how many games you have made previously, you always end up under estimating the kind of work that is required of you.

That is why I have not been updating the blog in a couple of months, not because I have not been working (believe me, I have been working), but because the amount of work that I had ahead of me was kind of staggering.

I am happy to announce that I am almost ready with the beta of the game and while it is still somewhat boring, the game is looking up.

I have given myself 5 months to get from somewhat boring beta to amazing and fun release.

for now though, I just have to work and work and work until I have a finished game.